Wednesday 9 September 2009

Cut emissions by 10% in 2010

I've just signed up to the 10:10 campaign - some of you will already know this 'cos I've sent emails to 10 friends to get them involved too. The aim of the campaign is to get individuals and businesses to cut emissions by 10% in 2010. I reckon this can probably be achieved simply by us becoming mindful of our consumption. I have thought about how we can measure our emissions and come to the conclusion that it's much easier to measure consumption. To this end, we're going to get an electricity monitor (our library service is lending them out and apparently you can buy them for a tenner) and I'm going to take milage readings on the car at the beginning of each month. Obviously I can also look at our electricity bills to compare month on month how we are doing. Some of our changes will be very difficult to monitor however..... how much change to our emissions does it make to replace one meat meal with a veggie one for example? If anyone has any stats on this I'd be interested to see them. Happy emissions cutting y'all.


Here is a link to the Guardian article about the campaign launch. There are some very cynical comments at the bottom of the article.... I think these people might be what is called deniers/nimby-ers. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment